BSA (Bovine Serum Albumin) is a protein that is derived from cows. Edwin Cohn, an early protein scientist, came up with the Edwin Cohn purification methodology by which he was able to make out fractions of blood plasma. The serum albumin protein is referred to as ‘Fraction V’ for it is the fifth fraction to the original Edwin Cohn purification methodology. The process got adopted for production of BSA.
Europa Bioproducts Ltd is known for the production of BSA powders. The powders are of high quality and have been tested for efficiency in their functions. The following are BSA powders manufactured by Europa Bioproducts Ltd. and their applications;
- Borelliag grade powder: has been tested and is recommended for the growth of Borrelia and Leptospira.
- Microbiological grade powder: the pH of the powder is 6.8-7.0. The powder is used as a serological diluent, a molecular weight standard and as a growth nutrient in tissue culture.
- Modified Cohn Fraction V Powder: The powder is manufactured under cold nondenaturing conditions and with fewer chemicals. The BSA powder can be used as a serological diluent, a molecular weight standard and a growth nutrient in tissue culture.
- Modified Cohn Fraction V, Protease free powder: the product has non-detectable levels of protease. The powder is very pure and other enzyme activities are quite low. The product can be used in RIA and ELISA.
- Low endotoxin, heat shock powder: the product has very low levels of endotoxins which make it ideal as a carrier of nutritional supplements. The product is also effective as a reagent to stabilize and dilute sensitive proteins.
- Standard grade heat shock powder
- Reagent grade powder, heat shock
- Protease free, heat shock powder
- Fatty acid-free, heat shock powder
- Diagnostic grade heat shock powder
Apart from powders, Europa Bioproducts Ltd. prides itself in making BSA solutions too such as the Heat Shock 30% solution. You can find out more on http://www.europa-bioproducts.com/.